If you've always been curious about sugaring but have yet to try it, you're not alone. Many clients take a while to sweeten up to the idea of trying our sugaring services!
If the mystery surrounding sugaring is part of what's been holding you back, then this blog post is for you.
At AiNails & Spa, we’re committed to professional service coupled with straightforward answers to all of your questions. So let's take a deep dive into the world of sugaring and bare it all for our clients (pun intended).
And, hey, you sugaring veterans out there might just learn something along the way, too!
What Is Sugaring?
Sugaring is a hair removal treatment.
Like waxing, it involves applying a heated mixture to the skin, allowing it to cool, and then removing hair by gently yanking it off.
Unlike waxing, sugaring uses only natural ingredients. Sugaring paste consists of lemon, water, and sugar; many clients appreciate that it’s gentler on the skin and also more environmentally friendly.
While wax typically adheres to the skin, sugaring paste does not. This can result in less pain during hair removal and a quicker recovery afterward.
One other major difference between the methods is that sugaring removes hairs in the direction of growth while waxing does the opposite. Not surprisingly, this means that sugaring is much less likely to result in broken hair follicles (and that's a good thing).
What To Expect at Your Sugaring Appointment
So, you've decided to try sugaring for hair removal. Good for you! In case you're feeling a little nervous, let's walk through exactly what will happen from start to finish:
We recommend arriving for your appointment early enough to use the washroom, provide intake information, and make yourself comfortable. Please note that sugaring services are only available at our Winnipeg Bridgwater Location.
When your technician takes you in, don't be shy! It's our business to take care of your business, and we've seen it all before. That being said, sugaring doesn't have to be just for your bikini area. Try it on your underarms, face, or wherever else you want hair removed.
Be sure to be clear and direct about what you want. It is our job to provide the results you request.
Your technician will cleanse and prepare the area to be sugared. They will then apply the sugaring paste in the opposite direction of hair growth and gently remove it with small yanks in the same direction of hair growth. The amount of pain you feel will depend on you, but many clients report sugaring to be less painful than waxing.
Repeat approximately every three weeks or whenever your hairs have reached the length of a grain of rice.
Shaving may be a temptation between appointments, but resistance is key. Once your body gets used to a sugaring routine, it will naturally produce less hair, and the process will become easier over time.
How To Prepare for Your Sugaring Appointment
Use these tips to make sure your sugaring treatments are as smooth as silk.
- Make sure your hair is long enough—at least the length of a grain of rice.
- Lightly exfoliate to remove dead skin cells in advance of your treatment, but don't exfoliate the day or two directly leading up to your appointment.
- Don't moisturize your skin or wear deodorant the day of your visit (the latter only applies if your underarms are being sugared). Lotions and deodorants can both interact with the sugar paste and make it less effective. There is also a possibility this could irritate your skin.
- Avoid tanning for the day or two prior to your treatment.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine on the day of your treatment. Both can cause your pores to tighten, which is exactly what you don't want when sugaring is on the calendar.
- Wear comfortable, breathable clothes.
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever approximately 30 minutes before your procedure if you’re concerned that hair removal will be painful.
The 24 to 48 hours after a sugaring treatment are a great time to focus on healthy self-care. Think of it as you time that will result in smooth, glowing skin.
- Do not exfoliate the skin for 48 hours after sugaring.
- Don't apply lotions or creams (including deodorant, if you had your underarms sugared).
- Avoid makeup if you had your face sugared.
- Avoid direct sunlight or tanning beds.
- Avoid heat, including saunas, steam rooms, and hot yoga studios.
- Try to minimize sweating (take a break from strenuous activities and gym workouts).
- Try your best not to touch, scratch, or rub the treated area.
Once 48 hours have passed, be sure to begin gently exfoliating and moisturizing treated areas. You can return to your normal products, routines, and activities as long as you’re not experiencing any concerning symptoms.
Redness and mild skin irritation are often a normal part of hair removal by sugaring. If you are experiencing a more severe reaction of any kind, consult a medical professional and inform your technician prior to your next appointment.
If you experience ingrown hairs between appointments, don't try to deal with them yourself. Pop into AiNails & Spa, and your technician will be happy to help!
AiNails & Spa Winnipeg
If you’re looking for sugaring in Winnipeg, look no further than AiNails & Spa, Bridgwater location. Whether it's your first time or your hundredth, our professional technicians will make sure your treatment is comfortable and gets you the results you’re looking for. For a smooth all-around experience (ha), give us a call today!
Posted on: Wed, 08/17/2022 - 14:28